Play call to action video again.
Discuss the 5 key principles of effective PD:
- The duration of professional learning must be significant and ongoing to allow time for teachers to learn a new strategy and grapple with the implementation problem.
- There must be ongoing support for a teacher during the implementation stage that addresses the specific challenges of changing classroom practice.
- Teachers’ initial exposure to a concept should not be passive, but rather should engage teachers through varied approaches so they can participate actively in making sense of a new practice.
- Modeling has been found to be highly effective in helping teachers understand a new practice.
- The content presented to teachers shouldn’t be generic, but instead specific to the discipline (for middle school and high school teachers) or grade-level (for elementary school teachers).